Pathways Program Office Hours w/Teri
How It Works
Schedule your 1-on-1 session to learn how to use our equipment and get Hacker Lab certified!
Open to all Hacker Lab members, you can now sign up for your own one-on-one session with Hacker Lab instructor Teri. When selecting your ticket, simply choose which class you'd like to cover. Teri can teach you:
- NEW Leather 101
- Intro to MIG Welding
- Intro to Metal Fabrication
Please be aware: Due to the nature of the 1-on-1 sessions, we have a 48 hour cut-off for scheduling - you must schedule your session at least 48 hours ahead of the session. Our normal cancellation policy of 48 hours advanced notice also applies.
Please note: Intro to metal fabrication must be taken prior to MIG Welding. If you signup for MIG, show up, and have not yet taken metal fabrication, the instructor will instead run you through intro to metal fabrication.
See below for the overviews of what each class covers:
An Introduction to leather skills and tools through lecture, examples, and a small project, with a focus on building skills for working with leather. The members can choose one of three items to make: a wallet, a set of cuffs, or a journal.
No previous experience required. We'll cover:
- Overview of common leather types
- Rundown of common leatherworking tools & what is available at Hacker Lab
- Hammering, cutting, punching, glueing, stitching, & riveting
- Walk away with what you made!
Intro to MIG Welding:
Take this class to learn what a MIG welding machine is and how to use one. This great intro class will cover techniques, welding safety and some basics on how MIG welding is applied in industry.
You must take intro to Metal fabrication prior to MIG welding
- Welding safety overview.
- Explanation of components and adjustments of our Hobart 180 MIG welder, and overview of our Lincoln MIG welder.
- Demonstration and practice of a proper weld puddle.
- Demonstration and practice of welding two pieces of steel together.
- Hobart MIG Welding Machine
- Lincoln MIG Welding Machine
Intro to Metal Fabrication (Metalshop):
This class will cover proper use of essential tools used in metal shop. Tools include band saw, chop saw and drill press. You will get a demonstration, and then a chance to try it for yourself!
- Students will finish the class with a full understanding of the proper use of Hacker Lab metal fabrication tools.
- The instructor will take time to explain which tool can be used for which job and which material works the best.
- The tools we have will allow students to cut and join steel and aluminum.
- Chop saw
- Band saw
- Drill press
- Angle grinder
- Flat bar bender
- Tubing roller
- Bench grinder
- Air compressor
For all Classes:
- Please make sure to arrive 10-15 minutes early and sign our general release of liability agreement.
- While we have some PPE available, you MUST bring your own mask (N95 or greater), and we suggest you bring your own safety glasses. Masks must be worn correctly while inside the facility.
- Hacker Lab has some welding jackets, welding gloves, and welding masks - however you may bring your own as well.
- Please wear shop-appropriate clothing: long 100% cotton pants, long-sleeve 100% cotton shirt, close-toed shoes or leather boots, no loose or dangling jewelry, and tie back long hair. What you wear will likely get dirty.
- Do not come into the Lab if you have a cough, fever, or feel sick in the past 14 days.