CANCELLED: 1on1 w/Mike - Intro to Manual Milling
How It Works
Schedule your 1-on-1 session to learn how to use our equipment and get Hacker Lab certified!
Open to all, sign up for your own one-on-one session with Hacker Lab instructor Mike to learn how to operate a manual milling machine.
Please be aware: Most of our one-on-one classes require students to register at least 48 hours ahead of class time, after which they will be marked 'Not available'. Our regular cancellation policy of 48 hours of advance notice also applies.
New in May: Double Trouble Twosome-Tickets! We've added tickets for twosomes! Parent + child (15yo+), partners, couples, or BFFs that just live together. Sign up for a Twosome-Ticket if you and someone in your bubble want to take the class together. Please, no unaccompanied minors.
This class is for those interested in using the Grizzly vertical mill. It covers the basics of mill components, setup, and use.
A mill is used to make precision parts through material removal. Operating a manual machine requires a skilled machinist with a "sense of feel." Though class will not make you a machinist, it will give you the foundations of operating a vertical mill. A particular focus will be given to safety for the operator and the machine, with the intent on preparing attendees to use Hacker Lab's Grizzley Mill for their own projects/practice.
This is also a great entry point for those who want to eventually transition to CNC work
Concepts covered include:
- Mill anatomy
- Cutting tools
- Speeds and feeds
- Climb vs. traditional cutting
- Milling operations
- Basic measurement and accuracy
- Grizzly G0759 - Mill with DRO
For all Classes:
- Please make sure to arrive 10-15 minutes early and sign our general release of liability agreement.
- While we have some PPE available, you MUST bring your own mask (N95 or greater), and we suggest you bring your own safety glasses. While vaccinated individuals may enter Hacker Lab maskless, attendees are required to wear a mask during their class.
- Please wear shop-appropriate clothing: long pants, close-toed shoes, no loose or dangling jewelry, and tie back long hair.
- Do not come into the Lab if you have a cough, fever, or feel sick in the past 14 days.
- While there is no pre-requisite for this class, we strongly suggest you also take into to metal fabrication before or immidiately after, as the other metal shop tools are useful when preparing material for the mill.