Product & Still-life Studio Lighting & Photography
If you've never taken a photography class at Hacker Lab we encourage you to take Intro to Studio Photography & Lighting first.
This group class focuses on lighting skills specific to Product and Still Life Photography. The goal is to familiarize students with the lighting tools available to members at the Hacker Lab. We will cover composition, lighting, and capture techniques to create compelling images that can be used to market products and to showcase texture, color, scale, and purpose. It is encouraged to bring a product or object with you and the instructor will explore options for photographing your object to showcase its unique characteristics. This class will be part lecture and part demonstration.
- Essential Equipment
- Lighting Equipment
- Exposure Techniques
- Controlling Light
- Using Backgrounds, Sets and Props
- Composition & Aesthetic
- Techniques for Reflective Products
- Techniques for General Products
What to bring
- A pen and notebook
- No camera required, however you may bring a DSLR if you have one
- This class is both a lecture and a demonstration
Important information for all classes:
- Please make sure to arrive 10-15 minutes early and sign our general release of liability agreement.
- Please review Hacker Lab's current COVID precautions by clicking here.
- Do not come into the Lab if you have a cough, fever, or feel sick in the past 14 days.
- While photography isn't particularly messy, the makerspace is a shop and thus full of wonderful ways to get stains and dirt on your clothes. Please dress appropriately, wear closed-toed shoes, and don't wear anything you don't mind getting a bit dirty.