Intro to 3D Printing - Online Hybrid Edition
Important: This class is being taught as a hybrid between online and in-person sessions. The online portion is held via Zoom and will run 2 hours. New for April, both members and non-members may take the online portion of this class. At the end of the online session, the instructor will post signup times for the 30min 1-on-1 in-person portion which is available to Hacker Lab members only. To be certified to use Hacker Lab's 3D printers you must attend the online portion then schedule, attend, and pass an in-person final certification.
What You'll Learn
This class provides hands-on training in 3D Printing and rapid prototyping. This class focuses on Hacker Lab's Monoprice and Tazbot 6 3D printers as well as the the Cura slicer program. We will also cover the filaments you can use, their care and what other types are available.
- Overview of 3D printing technologies, and which ones Hacker Lab has
- Rules, policies, & procedures for printing at Hacker Lab
- Available CAD training & common software used
- Overview of the Cura slicer program, and differences between the two version of Cura Hacker Lab's printer's use
- How different configuration options within Cura can affect print quality, speed, and resolution
- Printer setup
- Use of the Monoprice 3D printers, step by step
- Use of the Tazbot 6 3D printers, step by step
- Leveling the bed
- The SD card and menu
- Launching a print
- Watching for errors, what to look out for
- Removing your print
- MonoPrice 3D printers
- Tazbot 3D printers
It is strongly recommended that you download and install the Lulzbot version of cura (links below) so you can follow along during this class.
- For Windows users, click here
- For Mac users, click here
- For Linux users, click here, and figure it out (we suggest using the app-image version over the distro's repository versions)
Important: You must attend this session with both a working microphone and camera, and have them enabled (muting mike while not talking is okay). We've added this requirement as we believe it is a necessity for effective communication, and we are trying our best to replicate the in-person certifications that are normally offered.
Since this class is being held remotely, after completing the session, if you are a current, active Hacker Lab member, you will be given a link to sign up for an in-person final certification that should take about 30minutes.
This class and the final in-person certification are required to use the Tazbot 6 and MonoPrice 3D printers at Hacker Lab. There are no other recquired pre-requisites for the class, however familiarity with 3D modelling software would be helpful for future use of the 3D Printers.