30-day Cybersecurity Weekend Workshop: Anything you ever wanted to know about VPNs
Prerequisites: Watch this video.
The 30-day security challenge was developed by Shannon Morse of Hak5 acclaim. It’s a comprehensive overview of basic cybersecurity hygiene for the average person. This class serves as a ‘support group’ for anyone that wants to take the security challenge. We have weekly touchpoints on Mondays and interactive walkthroughs on Saturdays. This week, we will be exploring Virtual Private Network (VPN) technologies.
Participants will be encouraged to examine their own home wifi router configuration while the instructor reviews sample configurations.
In the class, we will discuss:
- Different VPN providers and their tradeoffs
- The process of setting up a VPN on Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, and routers
- The differences between VPNs, Proxies, Tunnels, and Tor
- Free vs. Paid VPNs
- Privacy/anonymity controls
- Preventing malicious traffic
- Log retention policies
- ‘Killswitch’ technology
For more information on what this course will cover, follow this link to view the Syllabus.
- Please watch this video before the session.
- This class will be held online via Zoom. After signing up, you will receive a personalized Zoom invite via email.
- The class works best with interactive student participation - please attend the Zoom session with a Microphone and Webcam enabled.
- This class is part ofthe 30 day security challenge series. You can take courses individually, however we highly suggest to attend all sessions in order if possible.
- Consider joining the Discord channel for the 30-Day Cybersecurity Challenge here.